Bullies

Posted by admin December 25th, 2012

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Let’s begin with our first topic.

In my book, Nevaline Scarcliff, a 15 year old girl, is plagued by a bully, Sibli, another trainee  in her squadron. Sibli just lost to Nevaline in the 10 kilometer long distance run.

“Acantha Hall should have been your rightful placement. Amazonia is deficient in its supply of goat milk maids!” Sibli laughed, her toadies joining in. She pointed towards the ground. “Here stand warriors of Rodina Hall, not pathetic blades of grass blowing in the wind. These so-called squad-mates cannot tell a longsword from a nail cutter.” The four hens cackled. Nevaline’s hands wrung her sword’s hilt in an attempt to control her anger. Sibli glanced at Yesnina, at present commencing her own sparring session. “You twits shall lead the army towards its burial ground!”

“From not being able to outrun the enemy?” Nevaline calmly retorted.

In my own life, I had changed schools in the fifth grade. At the new school, I showed that I understood the subjects by the grades I received and by answering questions correctly when the teacher called on me. A couple of the other girls who had been in that school for years already did not like this and began laughing at me when they passed me in the hallway, gave me dirty looks, and tried to talk the other kids into hating me as well. It was hard to ignore since there was only 30 of us in that one class year after year. But I just did (a few times I gave back their comments as they gave them to me!). When it came time to move on to high school, those girls were placed into different classes and then moved on with their lives. Fortune certainly smiles on everyone eventually.

What makes someone want to taunt another person?

Newer :

7 Responses

1. Lyle McCullough says:

I will never know the answer to your question. “What makes someone want to taunt another?” As a child and into some of my adult years, I suffered horribly from shyness. I would even take a lesser grade in school if I was to do a book report in front of the class. But as I grew older, I found the secret to facing my fears. I even found that I had a knack of public speaking and rather enjoy it now. But that is now and school was…miserable. Even in college I dreaded it but got through.

For some strange reason, kids are either drawn to the weaker or the different one. Perhaps they view their own self as weak so they pick on the smaller or weaker one to build themselves up. Being shy, I was never the aggressor. I never taunted anyone but I watched plenty of others being teased or bullied. To this day, I am haunted by a scene in high school where a group of boys in P.E. class where being ruthless to a young man. Mark Truesdale. They pushed him to the ground, kicked dirt on him. Rubbed his face in the dirt. And he just sat there and shrugged it off. As they left, I stayed with him and helped him up. I asked why he takes that abuse? He said, what else can I do? That is what haunts me. I only wish I had the nerve at that time to stand up for him and fight off his bullies. But I only watched. He and I became good friends after that.

Today is different. I take the weaker ones side. I do not allow the teasing, bullying the taunting. I never allowed any of my kids to tease their own siblings or others. I do not allow the word “Duh” or stupid or shut-up in our vocabulary at home. We honor each other. Respect who people are…even the weaker or different ones.

So, the answer is…I don’t know but it would never happen with me.

• Claudette says:

Lyle, there are certain times in my life where I too wished I could have stood up for people. As an adult I have found it to be much easier to voice my opinion, but sometimes the shyness yet creeps up on me. Certainly as a parent you have given a great example of things you can do to curtail bullying behavior at home such as outlawing words like ‘stupid’ or ‘duh’. It is a learning process for the bully and the bullied alike.

2. John Wolf says:

I’m not going to pretend to be Sigmund Freud here…but, I think one of the primary reasons is to feel superior. When kids are growing up they are inherently insecure and striving to find their place in the world. Unfortunately, some kids find a sense of security in the superiority they feel over someone when they bully them. The irony is that bullies are more insecure than most.

3. Claudette says:

John, that sounds logical. Bullies tend to deal with issues in their own lives by lashing out against others instead of (using a cliche)talking things out to deal with life’s difficulties.

4. Virginia says:

I was a victim of Bullies growing up, it was brutal until one day may father teach me boxing, then the bullies became cowered and ran from me, that day I became powerful and at peace.

5. Sue Ellen says:

I see taunting come from two places. I see it when the bully is looking for conformity from the person being teased for the selfish reason of not disturbing their own comfort. I saw this mostly growing up and even experienced while doing things that felt normal to me, such as preferring my shirt to be tucked in or reading a book at recess. Now that I’m older and I still see it in the playground when working with four year olds in the form of “your shoes look like they came from Payless” (which is clearly an imitation of something they have heard someone older say) or even throwing small sticks at adults in order to show off for their friends. In either situation someone had to make it clear that certain behavior or cruel words would not be tolerated. As I find myself having to explain too often you should not have to get your sense of self esteem at another’s expense.

• admin says:

That is a very good analysis, Sue Ellen. Certainly, bullying comes from an insecurity for sure whether it be from wanting to fit in or just show off to their friends. It is difficult to deal with but we have to get through it.